Saturday 13 September 2008

Workout of the Day: AOS Firepower

I've had this DVD for ages and never got round to doing it - as it requires 2 kettlebells and by the time I got two 16kgs I went and had some knee surgery and haven't used any of my kettlebell DVDs since then, preferring to write my own training sessions.

But sometimes it is good to defer the programming to someone else, and be the trainee rather than the trainer for once!  I love using DVDs both for kettlebells and yoga for that reason!

I do train myself hard, but when someone else is deciding what you're going to do you invariably push your limits in one way or another.

AOS Firepower has 5 different programmes you can choose from, all using the same 15 drills but manipulating the sets and rests.  I went for doing the whole thing twice, but the longer rests, taking 55 mins (the final option is doing the whole thing twice with shorter rests taking 45 mins).  

Whereas with all his other DVDs I skip the rest completely, I must admit I was grateful for it today!

I used mostly my 16kg kettlebells, as I only have one of all the others, although the first round I used the 11kg & 14kg for the alternating military press as I thought I'd never manage it with a 16kg (swapping half way).  The second round I used only the 16kg for all exercises, except the Turkish Get Up where I used a 14kg (next time will stick to the 16kg for all)...

Drills are as follows:  

Turkish Get Up
Alternating Clean and Press
Double Bent Over Row
Super Burpee
Figure 8 to Hold
Super Plank
Alternating Double Clean (this one I didn't do as he does as I was a bit to malco-ordinated, so cleaned one then then other rather than strictly alternating)
Suitcase Deadlift
Alternating Chest Press 
Russian Twist
High Pull and Snatch
See Saw Press
Figure 8 & Hold Tactical Lunge
Renegade Row
Squat & Triple Crush

...Oh yeah, and then the 5 minute snatch test!  

I kinda lost count but think I did 95 in the 5 minutes with the 16kg, alternating hands every 5 reps.  All I need to do now is work on doing 100 on each hand for 5 minutes, then on the other for another 5 and I can enter that Girevoy Sport Kettlebell Challenge I read about in Kettlebell Info Mag.... 

I wore my heart rate monitor, which I tend to do as I can see how intensely I've worked on a cardio level (although I put the watch down the front of my top as it gets in the way of the kettlebell - can someone please invent one that you can attach somewhere kettlebell friendly please?!) and the 55 min workout (including 5 mins mobility at the start) burned 650 cals, getting my heart rate to a max of about 185 bpm.    

A fat blasting, heart pounding, muscle pumping workout, that's for sure - thank you Anthony!

No comments: