Monday 13 July 2009

Barefoot Training?


I used to encase my feet 90% of the time in running trainers, for training, while training clients and for just general walking around, and I can see that many people do the same.

When I began to train with kettlebells I realised that running trainers were not the way forward - the soft, cushioned nature of the sole, creates unwanted instability and transmits forces to places you don't want them, increasing the risk of injury.

The general advice is, therefore, to train wearing flat soled shoes, such as Pumas - yes, the ones you buy for a fraction of the cost of running shoes, from the 'fashion' sports outlets! I used to think that anyone wearing those in the gym hadn't got a clue (which is often the case in fact) but now I realise the error of my ways!

I actually usually train completely barefoot when I can, as you are allowing the feet to do the work they were created to do! Rather than allowing over-supportive trainers to reduce our feet's need to work, we can strengthen them by training barefoot.

There are loads of nerve endings in the feet - by over-cushioning we desentise these important proprioceptors, so we are missing out of a really important aspect of training.

If you pronate (as in the arch of the foot rolls inwards), then barefoot training should encourage your glutes to work harder, which should reduce the pronation. If you need extra work to fire the glutes properly, then you need to make glute activation part of your warm up routine - most people should be doing this really. Wearing shoes that support you in this position do nothing for helping you to improve the situation - they accomodate the dysfunction, which can lead to further problems down the road, or up the kinetic chain...

To find out how you can test your own glutes and the steps you can take to rectify the situation, check out this article: http://figureathlete.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/most_recent/how_strong_are_your_glutes_really

Of course, when you are training outside or in a gym, barefoot training is not usually advised or allowed. Which is why I decided to invest in a pair of Vibram Five Fingers (see the pic!). They look kinda wierd and I was sure I'd only wear them in the relative privacy of the gym or my garden, but they are so comfortable I want to wear them all the time!

The toe 'fingers' that I thought would feel really wierd, are actually brilliant as they encourage your toes to spread, in the way you may have done at the beginning of a yoga class, but that regular shoes simply do not allow you to do. I can feel each toe becoming independent and controlled and working as they are meant to!

Try to isolate each toe (like drumming your fingers) and most people will really struggle. Some yoga teachers can do it, but most people just won't have the control. In fact, the first few times I put the VFFs on it took me ages to actually get my toes in the 'fingers' and I do go barefoot quite a lot already, as well as windsurfing / surfing barefoot. Today I managed to slide my feet in no probs - was quite exciting!

You can read all about them on their site: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com and they have a Facebook fan page too.

Plenty of runners are using the VFFs too, not just us kettlebellers and resistance training folks. Of course, you can't run as far or as fast to start with, and running in the VFFs will show you where your weaknesses are, as opposed to hiding them, but in the long run your body will be stronger, and surely that is the point of training?

A recent article (I'll hunt it out and post the links in another post) likened it to jumping onto a big, soft, mattress as opposed to hard ground. Although you would think you land with more cushioning on the mattress, the body can experience more shock as the mattress is supposed to absorb it, so the body doesn't. If you jump onto hard floor, the body is forced to absorb the shock effectively itself, by flexing the relevant joints for a softer landing.

Pavel refers to it as the 'extensor reflex' that is turned off by adding cushioning to the soles of the foot (check out his blog post: here)

Would appreciate your comments - have you tried the Vibram Five Fingers? Are you still put off by the freakyness of them? Have I persuaded you to give them a go??

6 comments:

LanceW said...

Quick question, where did you buy your VFFs?

Is there somewhere in SOuthampton I can take a look at a pair?

Lanvce

Anonymous said...

I've always been interested in this kind of "almost barefoot" idea since I heard about Terra Plana’s Vivo Barefoot line.

Still not tried it though, but your article has tempted me yet again :)

Caroline Radway said...

Hey LanceW, I got mine from Purefootwear.com, not sure where in town they sell them! Can come along to one of my bootcamps in Shirley and I'll show you mine, so to speak!

http://outdoorfitforlife.com

Or if you are a Twitterer, I'm gong to the Tuesday Tweet Up, tomorrow at Dock Gate 4 - I'll wear them!

Caroline Radway said...

Anonymous, I also have the Vivo Barefoot which are great, and better in public or with normal clothes, but the VFFs feel fantastic and are a lot more like real barefoot - my feet are wanting to grip the world, not just wander on passively!

Caroline Radway said...

Hey Lance

Bootcamp site is http://www.outdoorfitforlife.com, missed the www bit earlier!

Anonymous said...

I have wanted some of these for years! Unfortunately its not in the cards for me since I have a major latex allergy! Hope you enjoy yours! I train barefoot with kettles and weights but most cardio = shoes :(